The Women’s Professional Rodeo Association announced yesterday that it will sanction the 2013 Calgary Stampede, counting money earned at the high-paying event towards the WPRA world standings.
Last year, Sydni Blanchard took home $122,000 at Calgary alone. The WPRA agreed that $50,000 of Calgary’s $100,000 bonus cash paid to the winner will count towards the world standings. Here’s the info on the changes from the WPRA:
The WPRA is pleased to announce to our membership that the 2013 Calgary Stampede has been approved and that we are introducing a 2012 WPRA Qualifying Tour.
The Calgary Stampede and the WPRA Board have been in active dialogue regarding their request to have a 2013 WPRA sanctioned barrel race. The outcome is not only the Calgary Stampede approval but also the creation of the 2012 WPRA Qualifying Tour, which provides more opportunities for card members to qualify into Calgary.
“The Calgary Stampede is one of the greatest professional rodeos and we are excited to once again have an approved WPRA barrel race with them’” said WPRA President Jimmie Munroe. “The Board has been working for several weeks building a plan to ensure as many opportunities as possible into Calgary’s 20 positions. The WPRA Qualifying Tour is just the vehicle for doing that”
With a goal of providing more opportunities for professional barrel racers to qualify for entry into Calgary (and possibly other limited entry rodeos), the WPRA Board has created the 2012 WPRA Qualifying Tour as another way for card members to earn a seat into many great rodeos
“The Stampede is thrilled to be returning as a sanctioned Barrel Racing event for the WPRA in 2013,” says Keith Marrington, director, Rodeo, Calgary Stampede. “The Stampede and the WPRA have worked extremely hard in the pursuit of this new agreement which ensures all the best barrel racers will be in action at numerous WPRA events, including the Calgary Stampede.”
The WPRA Qualifying Tour
The WPRA Qualifying Tour is made up of 15 events across the US and Canada. The WPRA Tour standings will be one (1) of several ways to qualify into Calgary. Details:
Eligibility: You must be a 2012 WPRA card member at the time of entry to receive points. (Points are not applied to Permits.)
Timing: Events include rodeos between June 1 and September 30, 2012 and the WPRA World Finals in October 2012.
# Of Events: A total of 15 events have been identified as part of the WPRA Tour. One (1) rodeo has been identified in each circuit, two (2) Canadian rodeos have been named and one (1) race at the 2012 WPRA World Finals round out the WPRA Tour opportunities.
1. Texas- Pecos, TX- 6/27-30/2012
2. Canadian- Airdrie, AB- 6/27-7/1/2012
3. Badlands- Mandan, ND- 7/2-4/2012
4. Southeastern- Springdale, AK- 7/4-7/2012
5. Mountain States- Casper, WY- 7/10-14/2012
6. Columbia River- Longview, WA- 7/27-28/2012
7. First Frontier-Gerry, NY- 8/1-4/2012
8. Canadian- Strathmore, AB- 8/3-6/2012
9. Prairie- Lawton, OK- 8/8-11/2012
10. Turquoise- Lovington, NM- 8/8-11/2012
11. Wilderness- Caldwell, ID- 8/14-18/2012
12. Montana- Plains, MT- 8/31-9/1/2012
13. Great Lakes- Fort Madison, IA- 9/5-8/2012
14. California- Poway, CA 9/28-29/2012
15.WPRA World Finals- Lincoln, NE 10/17-21/2012
2012 WPRA Qualifying Tour Standings: The WPRA Tour standings will be point based and reflect up to your best 5 results (out of the 15 qualifying events) where you competed and won money up to and including the 10th position. There is no minimum or maximum # of events for you to attend.
Points: There is a 10- point scale, with points allocated from 10 points (1st place money) to 1 point (for 10th place money). No more than 10 positions will be awarded points. At a 2 head event, points are allocated to the average only.
Note: Points in the WPRA Tour standings will count from up to your 5 best events where you have competed and won money.
Tie Breaking Method: Ties will be broken by looking at a competitor’s money won at their 5 best events on the WPRA Tour standings.
The Calgary Stampede Qualifications
Qualifying positions, fill order and drop down rules are as follows:
- 1 position = 2012 Calgary Champion
- 6 positions = 2012 WPRA Pro rodeo standings (Drop down until filled)
- 4 positions = 2012 CPRA standings (Drop down until filled)
- 4 positions = 2012 WPRA Tour standings (Drop down until filled)
- 4 positions = 2013 WPRA Qualifying standings (Drop down until filled)
- 1 position = 2012 RNCFR Champion (Drop down to 4 positions, (Finals only) then go to 2012 WPRA Tour standings)
Calgary Stampede Bonus Money
It has been agreed that $50,000 of the $100,000 bonus will apply to WPRA Pro rodeo standings for 2013.
More details to come, watch for more updates on http://www.wpra.com